Skip to content
August 17, 2026
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • VK
  • Youtube
  • Instagram

𝓣𝓸𝓭𝓪𝔂 𝓢𝓽𝓪𝓽𝓮𝓶𝓮𝓷𝓽

The Statement Behind Every News

Primary Menu
  • Home
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Technology
  • Media Story
Watch Videos
  • Home
  • Entertainment
  • ‘We’ll beat all records’: Russian UFC champion makes history — RT Entertainment
  • Entertainment

‘We’ll beat all records’: Russian UFC champion makes history — RT Entertainment

Today Statement August 16, 2026 3 minutes read


Russian MMA champion Islam Makhachev has made UFC history with a commanding welterweight title defense against Ireland’s Ian Machado Garry, notching his 17th straight victory and smashing a UFC record.

UFC 330 at Xfinity Mobile Arena in Philadelphia on Saturday went the full five rounds, with Makhachev dictating the 25-minute bout through wrestling and ground control while mixing in dynamic striking, including a damaging second-round head kick in Round 2, officially recorded as a knockdown.


Moscow files second claim against World Athletics’ Russia ban

While Garry had the edge in striking, landing 161 total strikes to Makhachev’s 144, the latter dominated on the ground, landing six takedowns and 72 ground strikes to Garry’s 14. He also clocked over 12 minutes of control time to Garry’s 34 seconds. With no submission attempts, Makhachev’s wrestling proved decisive, with all three judges scoring the fight in his favor.

A former lightweight world champion, Makhachev had not entered the octagon since November, when he won the welterweight title on his debut in the division.

He faced Garry unbeaten for nearly a decade and riding a 16-fight winning streak – a UFC record he shared with Brazilian legend Anderson Silva. The victory took Makhachev’s overall record to 29 wins and one defeat, while the 28-year-old Garry suffered the second loss of his 19-fight career.

“We, Russia, have proven that we are number one in the world. We’ll beat all records,” Makhachev told the press after his victory. He admitted, however, that securing a victory in the championship rounds is “always hard.”


IOC defends Russian Olympic Committee reinstatement after EU threat – Reuters

“Ian is a great fighter, good man and I respect him. He gave me a hard time but I still prove every fight,” the 34-year-old Dagestan-born fighter said.

“I have nothing but respect for Islam… He won. I have no complaints, no excuses,” Garry said after the decision. In a social media video, the Irishman remained upbeat, saying it “wasn’t my night” and congratulating Makhachev, whose career he said he had always respected.

Numerous sports federations and governing bodies barred Russian and Belarusian athletes from international competition following the February 2022 escalation of the Ukraine conflict, ostensibly in solidarity with Kiev and following a recommendation from the International Olympic Committee (IOC). Russian fighters, however, have remained active in global MMA, with major promotions including UFC, Bellator and One FC declining to follow the guidance.


Russian world record holder claims European swimming gold (VIDEO)

UFC president Dana White said last year that Russian athletes will remain active in the organization despite political tensions.

“We’re a global business,” he said. “Bad sh*t happens all the time all around the world and…yes we will run the business like we always have.”

While the UFC stopped holding events in Russia due to logistical and financial hurdles stemming from sanctions, Kirill Dmitriev, Russian President Vladimir Putin’s envoy for investment and economic cooperation, previously said efforts were underway to bring UFC tournaments back to the country.

Last month, the International Olympic Committee provisionally lifted its suspension of the Russian Olympic Committee (ROC), clearing the way for Russian athletes to return to international competition en masse, a development Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova welcomed, saying: “Common sense has prevailed!”

About the Author

Today Statement

Administrator

Visit Website View All Posts

Post navigation

Previous: ‘Girls will speak, country will listen’: Rahul renews support for students
Next: Bengal: Congress leader, son killed in Nadia; who wanted them gone?

Related Stories

FIFA boss faces heat over alleged six-figure ‘lover’ pay-off — RT Entertainment
  • Entertainment

FIFA boss faces heat over alleged six-figure ‘lover’ pay-off — RT Entertainment

Today Statement August 8, 2026
FIFA boss faces heat over alleged six-figure ‘lover’ pay-off — RT Entertainment
  • Entertainment

FIFA boss faces heat over alleged six-figure ‘lover’ pay-off — RT Entertainment

Today Statement August 8, 2026
‘The World Cup is not for sale’ – UEFA threatens boycott over private equity plan — RT Entertainment
  • Entertainment

‘The World Cup is not for sale’ – UEFA threatens boycott over private equity plan — RT Entertainment

Today Statement July 31, 2026 0

Recent Posts

  • Jharkhand scraps JSSC-CGL, orders probe into recruitment exams since 2014
  • Education mess in Yogi raj: Lucknow schoolgirls protest twice in three days
  • The British far right is stalling — so why is nobody talking about it?
  • Kirti Azad threatens ‘pistol’ as Bengal’s ‘egg war’ escalates
  • Thousands awaiting aid in Indonesia after earthquake kills 68 – National

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Archives

  • August 2026
  • July 2026
  • June 2026
  • May 2026
  • April 2026
  • March 2026
  • February 2026
  • January 2026
  • December 2025
  • November 2025
  • October 2025
  • September 2025
  • August 2025
  • November 2024

Categories

  • World
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Technology
  • Health
  • Science

Trending News

Jharkhand scraps JSSC-CGL, orders probe into recruitment exams since 2014 Jharkhand scraps JSSC-CGL, orders probe into recruitment exams since 2014 1
  • Politics

Jharkhand scraps JSSC-CGL, orders probe into recruitment exams since 2014

August 17, 2026
Education mess in Yogi raj: Lucknow schoolgirls protest twice in three days Education mess in Yogi raj: Lucknow schoolgirls protest twice in three days 2
  • Politics

Education mess in Yogi raj: Lucknow schoolgirls protest twice in three days

August 17, 2026
The British far right is stalling — so why is nobody talking about it? The British far right is stalling — so why is nobody talking about it? 3
  • Politics

The British far right is stalling — so why is nobody talking about it?

August 17, 2026
Kirti Azad threatens ‘pistol’ as Bengal’s ‘egg war’ escalates Kirti Azad threatens ‘pistol’ as Bengal’s ‘egg war’ escalates 4
  • Politics

Kirti Azad threatens ‘pistol’ as Bengal’s ‘egg war’ escalates

August 17, 2026
Thousands awaiting aid in Indonesia after earthquake kills 68 – National Thousands awaiting aid in Indonesia after earthquake kills 68 – National 5
  • World

Thousands awaiting aid in Indonesia after earthquake kills 68 – National

August 17, 2026

Connect with Us

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • VK
  • Youtube
  • Instagram

Today Statement

Today Statement is a dynamic news website offering the latest updates on global and regional events, politics, business, entertainment, and technology. Known for its concise and accurate reporting, the platform caters to readers seeking quick yet comprehensive news insights, engaging features, and expert opinions on trending topics.

Categories

Business Entertainment Health Media Story Politics Sports Technology World

Recent Posts

  • Jharkhand scraps JSSC-CGL, orders probe into recruitment exams since 2014
  • Education mess in Yogi raj: Lucknow schoolgirls protest twice in three days
  • The British far right is stalling — so why is nobody talking about it?
  • Kirti Azad threatens ‘pistol’ as Bengal’s ‘egg war’ escalates
  • Thousands awaiting aid in Indonesia after earthquake kills 68 – National
Copyright © 2025 Today Statement | MoreNews by AF themes.