Skip to content
August 21, 2026
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • VK
  • Youtube
  • Instagram

𝓣𝓸𝓭𝓪𝔂 𝓢𝓽𝓪𝓽𝓮𝓶𝓮𝓷𝓽

The Statement Behind Every News

Primary Menu
  • Home
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Technology
  • Media Story
Watch Videos
  • Home
  • Sports
  • Rory McIlroy LIV Golf: Masters winner doubts the value of stars Jon Rahm and Bryson DeChambeau
  • Sports

Rory McIlroy LIV Golf: Masters winner doubts the value of stars Jon Rahm and Bryson DeChambeau

Today Statement August 20, 2026 4 minutes read
Rory McIlroy LIV Golf: Masters winner doubts the value of stars Jon Rahm and Bryson DeChambeau


James Corrigan

August 20, 2026 — 11:33am

You have reached your maximum number of saved items.

Remove items from your saved list to add more.

Rory McIlroy has plunged the dagger into what many see as LIV’s lifeless form by questioning what value the likes of Jon Rahm and Bryson DeChambeau have brought to the breakaway circuit.

LIV is putting on its last tournament of 2026 this week and, despite claims of having an investor lined up, there are inevitably doubts about the league surviving into next year after the Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund’s decided to pull funding.

Rory McIlroy during a practice round for this week’s BMW Championships in Missouri.Getty Images

Inevitably, focus has surrounded what will happen to the big names. It was revealed earlier this week that LIV executives are almost resigned to losing Rahm, regardless of whether funding remains a going concern.

But after world No.1 Scottie Scheffler said he would see the positives in heavyweights such as Rahm – signed for US$300m ($421m) – and DeChambeau returning to the PGA Tour, McIlroy was far less compromising. The world No.2 went as far as to query whether the Tour really needs them back.

Jon Rahm tees off during day four of LIV Adelaide at The Grange Golf Club in February.Getty Images

“I mean, have they brought value to LIV?” McIlroy said. “You know? I think the PGA Tour’s in a really good spot.”

If Rahm found that answer difficult to hear from his Ryder Cup teammate, then McIlroy’s response on whether the LIV rebels would be welcomed home would not have been an easier listen.

Brooks Koepka was reinstated immediately when he quit LIV at the end of last year – albeit with restricted appearances and a $5m fine – but Rahm and DeChambeau did not accept an offer on the same terms.

“I’m pretty sure they’re not going to be welcomed back straight away,” McIlroy said.

“If they were offered this returning-member program back in February, the one that Brooks took, then, yeah, maybe. But that has sort of come and gone. And I think it was said at the time that the deal that they might get going forward isn’t going to be as good as the one that Brooks got. So, yeah, I would say it’s going to be a tough, tough road back.”

McIlroy – who was talking at the BMW Championship in Missouri, which begins on Thursday – has been a vocal opponent of LIV ever since it was launched in 2022 and, despite some reservations, he is sticking to his guns if it does perish.

Bryson DeChambeau and Rory McIlroy during the last round of the 2025 Masters.Getty Images

“It’s a hard one,” he said. “I feel I’ve kept my position consistent that LIV has never been a good thing for the game. So, and whatever LIV 2.0 looks like, if it even happens, you know, they say they’re trying to be more collaborative and all that. But this is the [PGA Tour] is the best platform for the top professional golfers in the world.

“And yeah, were there some things at the start of LIV that the PGA Tour could have done better? Sure. But you think back to the start with, say, Phil [Mickelson] being unhappy with some stuff. Like, surely that just warranted a conversation instead of blowing the entire professional game up and doing something else.

“So I don’t take any personal satisfaction in people losing jobs. That doesn’t seem right. I’ve always felt like this is the best place to play professional golf. And I’m pretty sure if the PGA Tour were handed $6 billion, it would have done a better job with it.”

Related Article

Bryson DeChambeau during a LIV Golf event in North Carolina.

Meanwhile, in Indianapolis, Scott O’Neil, the LIV chief executive, also talked to the media and admitted that time was running out to reach a deal with the potential investor. The bulk of the players committing to LIV 2.0 is critical.

“We have a very compressed timeline to get the deal done,” O’Neil said. “I’m not going to share that here. But I can tell you we’re well on our way to a transaction. Look, the entirety of our focus is to get to this transaction and get through it. Without the players, that becomes very difficult. I have a good level of confidence in my conversation that we’ll have a critical mass of the right players to move this league forward.”

The Telegraph, London

You have reached your maximum number of saved items.

Remove items from your saved list to add more.

From our partners

About the Author

Today Statement

Administrator

Visit Website View All Posts

Post navigation

Previous: ‘Decisions soon’: KPMG begins talks on staff purge
Next: Lucas Herrington Premier League: Mark Schwarzer says Hull signing reminds him of a young Harry Kewell

Related Stories

Could Jake Stringer finish his career at Collingwood?
  • Sports

Could Jake Stringer finish his career at Collingwood?

Today Statement August 21, 2026
Australia vs Bangladesh Test match in Mackay: Australia names team for second Test
  • Sports

Australia vs Bangladesh Test match in Mackay: Australia names team for second Test

Today Statement August 21, 2026
Sydney Swans AFLW press conference: Lucy McEvoy, coach Colin O’Riordan to speak amid men’s team sexual assault allegations
  • Sports

Sydney Swans AFLW press conference: Lucy McEvoy, coach Colin O’Riordan to speak amid men’s team sexual assault allegations

Today Statement August 21, 2026

Recent Posts

  • Could Jake Stringer finish his career at Collingwood?
  • Meta influencer campaign: How the tech giant paid creators to oppose Australia’s under-16 social media ban
  • E20 driving up food and travel costs, Congress demands immediate review
  • Australia vs Bangladesh Test match in Mackay: Australia names team for second Test
  • Meta has been accused of buttering up influencers at its "safety camp" events

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Archives

  • August 2026
  • July 2026
  • June 2026
  • May 2026
  • April 2026
  • March 2026
  • February 2026
  • January 2026
  • December 2025
  • November 2025
  • October 2025
  • September 2025
  • August 2025
  • November 2024

Categories

  • World
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Technology
  • Health
  • Science

Trending News

Could Jake Stringer finish his career at Collingwood? Could Jake Stringer finish his career at Collingwood? 1
  • Sports

Could Jake Stringer finish his career at Collingwood?

August 21, 2026
Meta influencer campaign: How the tech giant paid creators to oppose Australia’s under-16 social media ban Meta influencer campaign: How the tech giant paid creators to oppose Australia’s under-16 social media ban 2
  • Technology

Meta influencer campaign: How the tech giant paid creators to oppose Australia’s under-16 social media ban

August 21, 2026
E20 driving up food and travel costs, Congress demands immediate review E20 driving up food and travel costs, Congress demands immediate review 3
  • Politics

E20 driving up food and travel costs, Congress demands immediate review

August 21, 2026
Australia vs Bangladesh Test match in Mackay: Australia names team for second Test Australia vs Bangladesh Test match in Mackay: Australia names team for second Test 4
  • Sports

Australia vs Bangladesh Test match in Mackay: Australia names team for second Test

August 21, 2026
Meta has been accused of buttering up influencers at its "safety camp" events Meta has been accused of buttering up influencers at its "safety camp" events 5
  • Business

Meta has been accused of buttering up influencers at its "safety camp" events

August 21, 2026

Connect with Us

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • VK
  • Youtube
  • Instagram

Today Statement

Today Statement is a dynamic news website offering the latest updates on global and regional events, politics, business, entertainment, and technology. Known for its concise and accurate reporting, the platform caters to readers seeking quick yet comprehensive news insights, engaging features, and expert opinions on trending topics.

Categories

Business Entertainment Health Media Story Politics Sports Technology World

Recent Posts

  • Could Jake Stringer finish his career at Collingwood?
  • Meta influencer campaign: How the tech giant paid creators to oppose Australia’s under-16 social media ban
  • E20 driving up food and travel costs, Congress demands immediate review
  • Australia vs Bangladesh Test match in Mackay: Australia names team for second Test
  • Meta has been accused of buttering up influencers at its "safety camp" events
Copyright © 2025 Today Statement | MoreNews by AF themes.