The candidates said several of them had already joined departments including finance, home, road transport, labour, and information and public relations.
The cancelled examinations include recruitment tests for drug inspectors, assistant professors in government engineering and medical colleges, lecturers in government polytechnics, senior scientific officers, assistant conservators of forests, forest range officers, food safety officers and child development project officers.
The government has said the action was necessary to restore confidence in the recruitment system amid allegations of malpractice and irregularities.
Alongside the cancellations, the government has announced that it would request the high court to constitute a fast-track court to hear cases related to alleged irregularities in JPSC and JSSC examinations. Internal vigilance cells have also been proposed in both commissions.
A committee headed by senior IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal has been constituted to recommend reforms in JPSC and JSSC examinations. The panel has been asked to submit its report within two months and is expected to examine the recruitment process and suggest measures to prevent paper leaks, manipulation and other forms of malpractice.
The investigation into the alleged recruitment irregularities has also intensified.
The Jharkhand CID arrested Sushma Kumari, wife of key accused Abhay Tiwari, and his brother Akshay Tiwari after questioning them for several hours.
Tiwari, a former employee of outsourced agency TDPL who was posted as a block supply officer in Godda district’s Poriyahat, was arrested by the CID on July 22.
Officials said the investigation found that Tiwari had qualified for around 12 competitive examinations over 13 years, including tests conducted by the police, the Navy, the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, the CRPF and Northern Coalfields. Investigators are examining his application forms, documents, evaluation records and selection details.
Investigators claimed that Tiwari told them that different โrate chartsโ were allegedly used for candidates seeking to qualify in competitive examinations, with “payments ranging from Rs 2 lakh to Rs 70 lakh”.
JLKM leader Devendra Mahto, who ended a 16-day hunger strike following the government’s announcement, has said he would soon launch a second phase of agitation.
A Congress delegation met Soren and welcomed the cancellations, saying the move would protect students seeking fair recruitment.
Leader of Opposition Babulal Marandi accused the JMM-led government of โcheatingโ protesting students by cancelling the examinations without accepting their demand for a CBI probe.