Skip to content
August 17, 2026
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • VK
  • Youtube
  • Instagram

๐“ฃ๐“ธ๐“ญ๐“ช๐”‚ ๐“ข๐“ฝ๐“ช๐“ฝ๐“ฎ๐“ถ๐“ฎ๐“ท๐“ฝ

The Statement Behind Every News

Primary Menu
  • Home
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Technology
  • Media Story
Watch Videos
  • Home
  • Sports
  • NRL 2026: How NRL narrowly avoided their own โ€˜Geelong momentโ€™
  • Sports

NRL 2026: How NRL narrowly avoided their own โ€˜Geelong momentโ€™

Today Statement August 16, 2026 4 minutes read


Christian Nicolussi

August 17, 2026 โ€” 5:00am

You have reached your maximum number of saved items.

Remove items from your saved list to add more.

The NRL avoided its own โ€œGeelong momentโ€ after the Canberra Raiders refused to let Corey Harawira-Naera sign a waiver that would have seen him assume all responsibility for future on-field injuries.

The AFL was earlier this month rocked by reports that Geelong and Jake Kolodjashnij, a player with a history of concussive incidents, signed a legal waiver that protected the club as part of Kolodjashnijโ€™s continued employment.

The so-called liability waiver was never registered by the AFL.

Now this masthead can reveal a similar situation had almost unfolded in rugby league when Harawira-Naera was desperate to resume playing, despite suffering a seizure during a game in 2023.

Harawira-Naera underwent a series of tests and was eventually fitted with an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) โ€“ a small, battery-operated device implanted under the skin in the armpit to monitor and treat life-threatening heart arrhythmias.

The New Zealand international was cleared to resume training by cardiologists, but when the Raiders refused to entertain any playing comeback in the middle of 2024, Harawira-Naera allegedly told the club he was happy to sign a waiver, which was quickly rejected.

Corey Harawira-Naera is taken from the field after suffering a seizure at Accor Stadium in 2023.Getty Images

โ€œThat could have been our โ€˜Geelong momentโ€™,โ€ Raiders chief executive Don Furner said on Sunday.

โ€œWe met with Corey and even had a Zoom call with one of his cardiologists in Melbourne, but we were never going to take the risk. We told Corey and his management that.

โ€œWe were happy for Corey to continue working at the club, and paid out the remainder of his playing contract.

โ€œAfter doing all that, and assuring them we werenโ€™t prepared to put Coreyโ€™s life at risk, his management said, โ€˜Corey is happy to sign a waiverโ€™.

Former Canberra forward Corey Harawira-Naera. Getty Images

โ€œBut we never entertained it. Iโ€™m no solicitor, but I know you couldnโ€™t waive away your duty of care to an employee. These waivers wouldnโ€™t have held up legally anywhere if a tragedy happened.

โ€œHe wanted to keep playing footy. At the end of the day, we had to protect Corey from himself.

โ€œI read an article about the Geelong situation and how the most difficult road for the club would have been sitting the player down and urging him to retire. Thatโ€™s what we did with Corey.

โ€œWe never kept our dealings with Corey a secret, and we were in regular contact with the NRL and their chief medical officer.โ€

โ€˜At the end of the day, we had to protect Corey from himself.โ€™

Raiders CEO Don Furner

Furner, the gameโ€™s longest-serving NRL club CEO, said he expected more players to offer to sign waivers in the future, especially when it came to concussion, and it was important the game had clear policies and return-to-play protocols.

โ€œIโ€™ll actually raise this point the next time the clubs get together,โ€ Furner said.

โ€œI do think the Geelong incident could lead to similar dilemmas in our game, with players desperate to keep playing, even if it means going against medical advice.

โ€œThey might be tempted to sign waivers or legal documents if it means they prolong their careers, especially with how much money can be made in the game now.โ€

Sources with knowledge of the Harawira-Naera situation not authorised to speak publicly said the waiver was raised with the NRL integrity unit, rather than the Raiders, in relation to a potential return with a rival club, and fulfilling the insurance requirements of a pre-existing condition.

Harawira-Naera told this masthead in an interview in May last year, after confirming there were no medical, legal or regulatory impediments to an NRL return: โ€œEveryone was telling me to give up because it was so unprecedented and no one has been through something like this before in rugby league, [but] I didnโ€™t feel content giving up without trying.

Related Article

Sam Walker

โ€œIโ€™ve just got to get myself in peak fitness and buy into a teamโ€™s protocols or values, watching games and how I can contribute to a team. Iโ€™ve still got confidence in myself.

โ€œIโ€™ve just got to get to a place that will allow me to get back to my best and have enough time to do that.โ€

The Cats last week received a โ€œplease explainโ€ from the AFL over their deal with Kolodjashnij, with coach Chris Scott yet to be informed about when the 30-year-old will be cleared to resume playing.

You have reached your maximum number of saved items.

Remove items from your saved list to add more.

From our partners

About the Author

Today Statement

Administrator

Visit Website View All Posts

Post navigation

Previous: Fake Alan Kohler interview typical of new breed of scam
Next: Short-selling on Australian banks: More people are betting against our banks on the sharemarket

Related Stories

Police investigating after man shoved to ground for patting child on the head
  • Sports

Police investigating after man shoved to ground for patting child on the head

Today Statement August 17, 2026
Lloyd calls out Cox for act worse than taunting
  • Sports

Lloyd calls out Cox for act worse than taunting

Today Statement August 17, 2026
How Sydney Swans and AFL will deal with fallout of investigation involving players Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, Riley Bice and James Jordon
  • Sports

How Sydney Swans and AFL will deal with fallout of investigation involving players Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, Riley Bice and James Jordon

Today Statement August 17, 2026

Recent Posts

  • Police investigating after man shoved to ground for patting child on the head
  • Lloyd calls out Cox for act worse than taunting
  • Markets today: Wall Street falls as oil rises; BHP, CSL results ahead; ASX set to decline
  • NRL 2026: Penrith Panthers Nathan Cleary to adjust attack after Roosters pressure defence and set-restarts, offside penalties
  • How Sydney Swans and AFL will deal with fallout of investigation involving players Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, Riley Bice and James Jordon

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Archives

  • August 2026
  • July 2026
  • June 2026
  • May 2026
  • April 2026
  • March 2026
  • February 2026
  • January 2026
  • December 2025
  • November 2025
  • October 2025
  • September 2025
  • August 2025
  • November 2024

Categories

  • World
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Technology
  • Health
  • Science

Trending News

Police investigating after man shoved to ground for patting child on the head Police investigating after man shoved to ground for patting child on the head 1
  • Sports

Police investigating after man shoved to ground for patting child on the head

August 17, 2026
Lloyd calls out Cox for act worse than taunting Lloyd calls out Cox for act worse than taunting 2
  • Sports

Lloyd calls out Cox for act worse than taunting

August 17, 2026
Markets today: Wall Street falls as oil rises; BHP, CSL results ahead; ASX set to decline Markets today: Wall Street falls as oil rises; BHP, CSL results ahead; ASX set to decline 3
  • Business

Markets today: Wall Street falls as oil rises; BHP, CSL results ahead; ASX set to decline

August 17, 2026
NRL 2026: Penrith Panthers Nathan Cleary to adjust attack after Roosters pressure defence and set-restarts, offside penalties NRL 2026: Penrith Panthers Nathan Cleary to adjust attack after Roosters pressure defence and set-restarts, offside penalties 4
  • Sports

NRL 2026: Penrith Panthers Nathan Cleary to adjust attack after Roosters pressure defence and set-restarts, offside penalties

August 17, 2026
How Sydney Swans and AFL will deal with fallout of investigation involving players Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, Riley Bice and James Jordon How Sydney Swans and AFL will deal with fallout of investigation involving players Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, Riley Bice and James Jordon 5
  • Sports

How Sydney Swans and AFL will deal with fallout of investigation involving players Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, Riley Bice and James Jordon

August 17, 2026

Connect with Us

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • VK
  • Youtube
  • Instagram

Today Statement

Today Statement is a dynamic news website offering the latest updates on global and regional events, politics, business, entertainment, and technology. Known for its concise and accurate reporting, the platform caters to readers seeking quick yet comprehensive news insights, engaging features, and expert opinions on trending topics.

Categories

Business Entertainment Health Media Story Politics Sports Technology World

Recent Posts

  • Police investigating after man shoved to ground for patting child on the head
  • Lloyd calls out Cox for act worse than taunting
  • Markets today: Wall Street falls as oil rises; BHP, CSL results ahead; ASX set to decline
  • NRL 2026: Penrith Panthers Nathan Cleary to adjust attack after Roosters pressure defence and set-restarts, offside penalties
  • How Sydney Swans and AFL will deal with fallout of investigation involving players Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, Riley Bice and James Jordon
Copyright ยฉ 2025 Today Statement | MoreNews by AF themes.