Skip to content
August 17, 2026
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • VK
  • Youtube
  • Instagram

𝓣𝓸𝓭𝓪𝔂 𝓢𝓽𝓪𝓽𝓮𝓶𝓮𝓷𝓽

The Statement Behind Every News

Primary Menu
  • Home
  • World
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Health
  • Technology
  • Media Story
Watch Videos
  • Home
  • Business
  • Mahmood Fazal: ABC removes more investigative content following internal review of sacked reporter
  • Business

Mahmood Fazal: ABC removes more investigative content following internal review of sacked reporter

Today Statement August 17, 2026 2 minutes read


Calum Jaspan

August 17, 2026 — 12:38pm

You have reached your maximum number of saved items.

Remove items from your saved list to add more.

The ABC has removed two more investigative programs associated with sacked reporter Mahmood Fazal, including a Four Corners episode about hitmen operating in Sydney, after completing its internal review into the journalist’s work for the national broadcaster.

Acting news director Lee Glendinning told ABC staff on Monday that the broadcaster had removed three more pieces of content, including an episode of flagship investigative radio show Background Briefing and part of a separate Four Corners episode Fazal had co-reported.

Former ABC investigative reporter Mahmood Fazal.Sydney Morning Herald

The removals are part of a deepening scandal at the ABC, which had trusted Fazal to front some of its most prominent programs, but removed him in May after he appeared on an unauthorised external podcast. That led ABC sources to raise concerns about the authenticity of sources on some of Fazal’s broadcasts, three of which have already been pulled.

Silent Orders, an investigation led by Fazal in 2024 into underworld assassins in Sydney, was one of three pieces of material removed on Monday after the ABC’s review found the use of anonymous interviewees did not meet its editorial standards.

“The review found that in each of these cases, ABC verification policies concerning the use of anonymous interviewees were not followed to a level that meets our editorial standards,” the ABC said in a statement. “Therefore, in order to ensure complete confidence in published content, we have taken the decision to remove them.”

Related Article

Artist Benjamin Aitken, left, was suspected by ABC staff of appearing as a meth cook, right, in a broadcast fronted by Mahmood Fazal, centre.

Fazal has previously denied any wrongdoing in his reporting and said that his stories went through a rigorous editorial process.

Glendinning also told staff that current Foreign Correspondent executive producer Morag Ramsay was taking over as acting head of investigations and current affairs, following the recent exit of her predecessor Jo Puccini.

The ABC Ombudsman is conducting a separate investigation into the two previously removed Four Corners episodes, Cocaine Nation and Meth Highway, with the final report still yet to be published.

You have reached your maximum number of saved items.

Remove items from your saved list to add more.

Calum JaspanCalum Jaspan is a media writer for The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age, based in Melbourne. Reach him securely on Signal @calumjaspan.10Connect via X or email.

From our partners

About the Author

Today Statement

Administrator

Visit Website View All Posts

Post navigation

Previous: NRL 2026: Newcastle Knights’ rise from cellar to finals means Justin Holbrook must be coach of the year

Related Stories

  • Business

ASX set to slide, Wall Street slips after weak update on the US economy

Today Statement August 16, 2026
d5caa734967eb213b2f2e2a5a051fd787a32a624
  • Business

Fake Alan Kohler interview typical of new breed of scam

Today Statement August 16, 2026
  • Business

Short-selling on Australian banks: More people are betting against our banks on the sharemarket

Today Statement August 16, 2026

Recent Posts

  • Mahmood Fazal: ABC removes more investigative content following internal review of sacked reporter
  • NRL 2026: Newcastle Knights’ rise from cellar to finals means Justin Holbrook must be coach of the year
  • JB Hi-Fi shares plunge as it warns of AI-driven tech squeeze
  • Democratic Republic of Congo’s Ebola outbreak is now the deadliest in its history
  • Joey scorches 'disgusting' Broncos effort

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Archives

  • August 2026
  • July 2026
  • June 2026
  • May 2026
  • April 2026
  • March 2026
  • February 2026
  • January 2026
  • December 2025
  • November 2025
  • October 2025
  • September 2025
  • August 2025
  • November 2024

Categories

  • World
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Technology
  • Health
  • Science

Trending News

Mahmood Fazal: ABC removes more investigative content following internal review of sacked reporter ed13c528ff29429d0a4267821595c52ca2cdc4cc 1
  • Business

Mahmood Fazal: ABC removes more investigative content following internal review of sacked reporter

August 17, 2026
NRL 2026: Newcastle Knights’ rise from cellar to finals means Justin Holbrook must be coach of the year cede280bc1cdcf5d12a1c8335d40b8276279a023 2
  • Sports

NRL 2026: Newcastle Knights’ rise from cellar to finals means Justin Holbrook must be coach of the year

August 17, 2026
JB Hi-Fi shares plunge as it warns of AI-driven tech squeeze 8200a4f9bf702126b9abbfe4377fad29e2b9f2e7 3
  • Technology

JB Hi-Fi shares plunge as it warns of AI-driven tech squeeze

August 17, 2026
Democratic Republic of Congo’s Ebola outbreak is now the deadliest in its history 4
  • Health

Democratic Republic of Congo’s Ebola outbreak is now the deadliest in its history

August 17, 2026
Joey scorches 'disgusting' Broncos effort e33cb23c39d998e5576bba55898717e1a07a315e 5
  • Sports

Joey scorches 'disgusting' Broncos effort

August 17, 2026

Connect with Us

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin
  • VK
  • Youtube
  • Instagram

Today Statement

Today Statement is a dynamic news website offering the latest updates on global and regional events, politics, business, entertainment, and technology. Known for its concise and accurate reporting, the platform caters to readers seeking quick yet comprehensive news insights, engaging features, and expert opinions on trending topics.

Categories

Business Entertainment Health Media Story Politics Sports Technology World

Recent Posts

  • Mahmood Fazal: ABC removes more investigative content following internal review of sacked reporter
  • NRL 2026: Newcastle Knights’ rise from cellar to finals means Justin Holbrook must be coach of the year
  • JB Hi-Fi shares plunge as it warns of AI-driven tech squeeze
  • Democratic Republic of Congo’s Ebola outbreak is now the deadliest in its history
  • Joey scorches 'disgusting' Broncos effort
Copyright © 2025 Today Statement | MoreNews by AF themes.